- Please tell me the necessary steps for securing a position with your company.
- Please visit our website for information about the selection process after March 2016.
- I am currently studying science and technology. Can I still apply for a non-technical position?
- Of course. In this case, you would take the same test as liberal arts majors. There is no particular disadvantage and we encourage you to take on this challenge.
Note: You cannot apply for both technical and non-technical positions at the same time.
- I have already graduated. Can I still apply?
- Graduates can still apply. However, you must fulfill the conditions of "being able to start in April 2017" and "have never worked as a full-time employee" in order to be qualified to apply.
- Please tell me about hiring for foreign university students.
- If you are able to participate in the selection process in Japan, please do so.
If you do not plan to return to Japan and cannot participate, please use the contacts form to contact us.
- Do you hire foreign students?
- Of course. Foreign students are welcome to participate in the selection process. We do not have a special selection process for foreign students. Please apply via the regular application process by accessing “My Page”, which is our homepage for new graduate recruitment available on our employment website.
- What positions does Konica Minolta have? Does my major matter?
- In the technical field, we have positions in research and development, production engineering, product evaluation, and more. Our employees’ specialties are wide ranging, including majors in chemistry, materials, physics, optical, mechanics, electronics, information technology, management engineering, and pharmacology.
In the administrative field, our staff has specialties in sales, planning, legal, human resources, accounting, and other fields.
- What do you look for when you are hiring students?
- During your time as a student, what did you focus on?
- What do you want to do at Konica Minolta?
- Can we meet alumni?
- Unfortunately, we cannot make individual introductions with alumnus.
- Can I choose where I will work?
- Assignments change depending on the position, so you must first consider what type of work you would like to do at Konica Minolta. Work locations change according to your job and the department to which you are assigned. In addition, your work location may change after you are hired.
- Will there be an opportunity to work overseas?
- 80% of Konica Minolta sales are from overseas. Therefore, regardless of employee's career, there are many opportunities to work overseas. ,The current number of employees residing overseas is about 260. Although most are in the administrative field, there are many opportunities for both technical and administrative employees to travel overseas on business trips.
- Please tell me Konica Minolta's philosophy on personnel.
- In Konica Minolta, each employee is the main character.
By sharing values among diverse employees under the Konica Minolta Philosophy, we will become a company always aiming to create new value for society.
- Please outline the personnel system.
- The Konica Minolta personnel system maximizes employee ability and satisfaction, eliminates the factor of seniority by respecting and cultivating personnel who continue to grow, and consistently applies a merit system that grants promotions and pay raises according to ability and results.
In addition, we have established an innovation course (discretionary labor system) that positively impacts results and has formed a personnel organization that is able to take on new challenges.
- Are transfers within the company possible?
- We allow transfers between divisions and have recently introduced the personnel posting system and FA (free-agent) system to allow even smoother transfers between divisions throughout the company. We also strongly emphasize that transfers should connect to employee motivation and growth viewed over the long term.
- How many days off are there per year?
- There are 125 days off per year. (126 for leap years)
The year end/new year and summer holidays are 7 or more continuous days.
In addition, there are 15 - 20 days of paid holiday, so many employees use the long holidays and paid holidays to travel overseas.
- Please tell me about the Innovation Course (Discretionary Labor System).
- This course was established in order to form a personnel organization that takes on challenges by supporting our employees’ diverse concepts of "satisfaction", in addition to allowing each employee to determine how to proceed in their job.
Employees who choose this course (courses chosen by the participant and approved by the company) set challenging goals, and the system provides monetary rewards for those results to increase the impact of those results.
Our labor system entrusts the execution of business largely to the individual, and a discretionary labor system is applied as a system to allow that trust. Primarily targeting the research and development and planning departments, this course may be selected by employees 2-5 years after hire.
Currently, about 2/3 of these employees have selected the innovation course.
- Please tell me about the Flex Time System and Discretionary Labor System.
- First, the work hours for the major locations are listed below.
<Prescribed Working Hours> 7 hours 40 minutes
- Marunouchi and Hamamatsucho: 9:15 AM - 5:40 PM (45 minute break)
- Nishi-Honmachi (Osaka): 9:00 AM - 5:25 PM (45 minute break)
- Other sites: 8:30 AM - 5:10 PM (60 minute break)
In addition, sales employees who spend a lot of time working outside of the office can select the deemed working hours system and employees who meet certain standards in the research and development or planning departments can select the discretionary labor system. These selections allow employees to use time at their own pace.
The discretionary labor system is a labor system integrated with the innovation course.
- Is there overtime or working over holidays?
- Sometimes it is necessary to work overtime or on days off due to the nature of one’s work, but in these cases, many employees use flex time or take compensation days. For example, employees in the technical field may need to work until late at night due to product development schedules.
However, when the Innovation Course (Discretionary Labor System) is selected, employees are responsible for managing their own work outside of normal hours (excluding late night and holiday work). We believe that employees’ focus on time will shift to a focus on work and results.
- Is there a system to support the coexistence of childcare or home care with work?
- We have systems for childcare leave and family-care leave.
In order to address issues related to Japan's declining birthrate and nurturing the next generation, Konica Minolta is taking action to establish these systems and implement further plans. With an eye to "creating an environment where work and home can coexist for men as well as women," these actions are being taken in the Committee to Study the Personnel System through cooperation between the company and the Konica Minolta Labor Union. Consequently, we have met the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare's criteria for recognition of businesses that support childrearing.
Dozens of employees utilize the childcare leave system every year. Even after returning to work, some employees utilize our shortened-hours system or our work-from-home system.
This environment enables those who need to care for a child or family member to work without worrying.
- Are there dormitories for single employees?
- There are dormitories for single employees. In principle, any new employee can enter a dormitory if they express a wish to do so. The cost is very reasonable, at about 20,000 yen, and employees can safely enjoy their life as a member of society surrounded by coworkers.
In addition, if you are required to move due to a transfer, the company will provide leased corporate housing.
- What is the Cafeteria Plan?
- The cafeteria plan is a "selection type benefits program." This system allows employees to freely select a benefits menu from amongst many menus within the framework by using points awarded uniformly each year. Specifically, the Konica Minolta cafeteria plan aims to support the self-sufficiency and growth of employees and has established menus for supporting and balancing home and work and for improving health focusing on support, self development through covering school expenses, language-learning expenses, and the purchase of specialty books as some of its main menus.
- Please tell me about the available facilities.
- There are facilities and recreational facilities that can be used at a discount. Also, discounts can be used in business partner resort hotel facilities, self-development education, child/nursing care, and health and care facilities. Also, you will be able to use any of 1,000 health club facilities around the country with a single coin (500 yen).
- What type of education is available up until the start date?
- After the internal ceremony, we would like you to begin preparing for your new life as a member of society by learning business fundamentals and forming a vision of the future, but we believe that it is more important that you enjoy the remainder of your student days without regrets.
- What does new employee training entail?
- The new employee training brings all new employees of the Konica Minolta Group together for the first two weeks to learn the knowledge required to work as a business person and the fundamentals of how to work.
Then, the technical group will learn technical fundamentals through various technical systems training, patent training, etc. The administrative group systematically studies the fundamentals of business while experiencing the work environment of the department to which they have been assigned firsthand.
Also, a mentor system (a senior employee acting as mentor and guardian) is employed to ensure a fulfilling independent education. Each new employee has a mentor assigned individually, and because support is offered systematically and daily, we believe our employee can enjoy a stable first year as a member of society.
- What kind of training is available after being hired?
- Employees may join the Konica Minolta College skill-improvement program in accordance with their individual development. Over 150 course selections are available. They include areas such as "business skills," "technology," and "e-learning." The program provides a structure in which all employees can access an education and training website and receive training in necessary skills. Additionally, there are substantial systems for training and producing core personnel for Konica Minolta. The Challenge Engineer Forum is a voluntary self-improvement program for young engineers. The Business Leader Program is a long-term program for the development of the next generation of leaders to pursue the creation and transformation of new businesses.